Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Oh snap, that's gonna leave a mark!!!

OK, so once again, I had a terrible day. I hate to blog about terrible days. I've been doing too much of it. Today, we were driving in my mini-van to get fixed. Well, D was driving it, and I was following behind him. Well, it died all together at a very busy intersection! So, it's raining/snowing, and here we are, people honking at us, giving us dirty looks. I'm thinking, geez, we're broken down! It's not like we're doing this on purpose! Trust me! So, we get it towed in, and they tell us we need a new engine, to the tune of $3,400. OH SNAP! That's gonna leave a mark!!! Well, we're just not sure what we're going to do right now. We're praying hard, hoping God will show us whether to get it fixed, or buy a new car, or buy a used car....yada...yada...yada.

So, everybody in the military knows that they use letter abbreviations for everything. When we first got in the Air Force, wives would talk to me, and use these letter abbreviations, and I would just smile nicely, nod my head, and act like I had an idea what they were talking about. Then, I would go call my husband and ask him. There's TDY, which stands for "temporary duty". There's PCS, my personal favorite..."Permanent Change of Station"...or, until we feel like moving you again in 2 years. That cracks me up. Well, there's another one...DITY. This is "Do It Yourself." You can do this when you move. You can have movers come and move your stuff, or you can "DITY" some or all of your stuff. Well, this is what we're doing right now. After the events of today, I am beginning to see why God wanted us to do this...so we can have a little bit of money...to fix our 9 year old mini-van. You can make some money, but I don't recommend it. Yesterday, I helped my husband move our sectional into our new house. I nearly dropped it, which would in effect negate any money we might make. My arms have bruises all up and down them. We're still not done. We plan to get another truck later this week, and repeat the tremendous fun we had yesterday! I think I'm too old for this.

So, I tend to stress eat. When I'm stressed out, I tend to eat my favorite foods. I posted a few days ago about my pleasant memories of my dad and popping popcorn.

So, here's the world's most perfect husband making his wife popcorn on the stove after a hard day! Well, he's the world's most perfect husband for me. I don't mean to put down your husbands. I'm sure they're really nice and all. But, mine's perfect for me!

5 comments:

Lori - Queen of Dirty Laundry said...

Oh Kristen, I am so sorry to hear about your van. I know it's just a car, but oh my goodness, I do not enjoy those types of decisions OR financial outlays! If you decide to go the "new" car route, I recommend going "slightly used." I got my 2006 Uplander with about 10,000 miles on it for about $10,000 below what a new one would cost. IMO, that's the way to go.

And what a sweet baby your hubby is for making you popcorn after a rough day. I love the photo!

Good luck with the rest of the moving, and just remember - it won't last forever. Hugs!

A.K. said...

heck yes he's the perfect husband- there's nothing better than your love bringing you delcious food after a hard day!

i'm so sorry to hera about the van... i'll be praying for that one! good luck with the moving... makes me get nervous for doing the same thing in about a month! let the adventures begin!

Wendy said...

I don't know about insightful.... Not so much. Sorry about the van. I know you all will make the right decision. Is D's popcorn as good as the theater?

Liza on Maui said...

If it's any consolation... on Monday I will need to pay $4,000+ for my teeth! OH SNAP! 2 missing molars needed to be replaced to the tune of $4,000!!! We had to take it from equity loan on our house....

I hope you figure out what you need/want for the new transportation...

Any more popcorn?

Janice said...

What a sweet husband to make you popcorn on the stove!! My DH does that too but with the microwave - and I doubt it's as good as what your hubby makes - but I'm not complaining :-).

The cost of a new engine has got to hurt! But I am sure you guys will figure out what to do. I'm sending you positive thoughts for a speedy and easy move to your new home!